Saturday, May 26, 2012

Dining Room Project

One of the projects that we worked on this week was finishing painting our dining room.  This room has been in the works for almost a year.  Ever since I saw Candice Olsen paint tone-on-tone stripes on Divine Design, I have wanted to do that in my house! Well this room seemed like the perfect room to try it out on.

This is how it originally looked (back in September):

Very poorly hung wallpaper.  Basically every seam was coming up.  Worked to my advantage though! 

Easiest wallpaper removal ever!  Took about 30 minutes and came right off.  This was done last September. 
 This is how it looked before we started painting in April:



I forgot to take pictures of how it looked with the first paint color on the walls.  Flash forward to this week:  We have had our base color on for about a month.  Time for stripes!  Since our walls were painted with the eggshell paint color, we needed to tape off the stripes we were going to paint in the semi-gloss paint (same paint color, just different bases).   

Andrew was so good to help me with this project.  It's definitely a 2-man operation.  One to hold the laser level and one to tape.  Since he is taller than me, he got to tape and I got sit in a chair and hold the level for him. 

We were very meticulous and labeled every paint stripe so we wouldn't mess up and paint the wrong one. 

We made sure we did the math beforehand so we knew that our stripes would be even and all fit.  And fatter stripes goes much faster! 
 And after 5+hours of taping and 3 different days of painting, I give you the finished product! 
It's a subtle stripe, which I totally love! 

Kayla was mad that I left her in the other room

I'm not the best photographer, but you get the idea



Now I can finally cross this off my house to-do list!  Maybe in a few more years we'll be able to put furniture in this room.  Right now it'll just have to be a gorgeous empty room. 

5 comments:

~*Alina*~ said...

it looks amazing! do that to my apartment!

mallory said...

Very cool!

Esther said...

Wow! That is beautiful! I love it! Great job, it looks like it could be in an interior design magazine!

OneSharpMom said...

I love your paint job. You did an amazing job.

Brittany said...

Wow...you guys did an amazing job! That would take a lot of patience! I am in LOVE with the moldings...wish our house came with some character like that! We spent our Memorial Day weekend painting too and will finish this Saturday.