Andrew and I had an interesting day today. Last Thursday at my 37-week appointment, I found out that the baby is breech. My doctor suggested that we try flipping her since she is full term, but still small enough to maneuver inside my tummy. I talked it over with Andrew and we decided to give it a try because I wanted to avoid having a c-section if possible. Worse comes to worse is she doesn't flip and we are back to where we are already. Our appointment was this morning at the hospital. First off, we were 45 minutes late to the hospital because of the traffic. Gotta love DC traffic...there is no rhyme and reason to it! Anyways we dropped Carson off at my sister's and drove over to the hospital. After the 20-minute check in, we walked up to labor and delivery. I got changed and set up in a triage room. It was a total flashback to when I had Carson! After my panic attack with having to get an iv (trust me, it wasn't pretty), they got me hooked up to the monitors and we waited for Dr. Zaita to show up. About 15 minutes later she comes in and does an ultrasound to check the position of the baby and low and behold...she is head down. Somehow she managed to flip by herself without me realizing it. The doctor was a little baffled as to how I couldn't notice because she said it should have been really uncomfortable and even a little painful. But somehow I missed it. So we basically showed up for nothing. It was my daughter's way of tormenting me just enough to let me know that she is the boss. The nurses felt bad about having to give me the iv when I didn't even need it. I just told them it was good practice for next time.
So anyways before they discharged me, my doctor wanted to do a non-stress test on the baby...meaning they wanted to see her heart rate accelerate for 15-second intervals at least twice during a 10 minute period. They gave me orange juice and graham crackers to get some sugar in my system. So Andrew and I sat there staring at the fetal heart rate waiting for something to happen. Well my little girl, being the punk that she is, thought it would be fun to move so the monitor couldn't detect the heart. She did this COUNTLESS TIMES! Andrew and I would sit there and move the monitor around to try to pick it up so they could record this stupid test and I could get out of there. More proof that she is the boss and wasn't going to make this easy. Finally the nurse called my doctor and she said to let me go home. I have no idea if they were able to document what they were trying to get.
So overall Andrew and I spent about 90 minutes at the hospital for no reason. Good fun let me tell you. As we were leaving, one of my nurses laughed and said "I guess we'll see you in a few weeks." All I can think is "it's up to her."
5 comments:
Wow. Can't wait to see what she's like as a teenager.
I heard that having them try to turn your baby can be one of the most painful things - obviously better than a c-section though. That is nuts! I also can't believe you didn't feel her move head down! What a crazy day.
It's the Bettridge genes in her. She's gonna do things her way and in her own time.
Well that sounds fun! Looks like she'll be quite the little spitfire when she gets here! Something to look forward to!
You'll probably be surprised with a little angel and wonder where the little troublemaker went, only to realize she's back at age 13.
Post a Comment