Since everyone else is doing it (I'm such a sucker for peer pressure), this is how Andrew and I met. Just a warning up front, this story will have some back history to further make the story more interesting.
Let's go back to November 2002. It was a Saturday night after a football game. This game was probably the COLDEST game I have ever been to. My roommate and I had to wear like 6 layers of clothes. I remember sitting on those metal benches and when we would stand up to cheer, we would moan because then our warm spot was gone. Anyways once we got home from the game, we decided we would watch a movie and chill for the night. While I am in the living room looking at movies, I hear a knock on our door. I open it and 2 guys are standing there. I had no idea who they were. One of them started off with a "hey, I'm Brian and this is Andrew. We are going around conducting an 8-minute dating survey. We were wondering if we could take 8 minutes of your time?" **Back story: Earlier that week some guys from my ward dropped off surveys for a Psychology class assignment. So I just figured it was another Psych assignment.** Naive me said sure and let these strange boys in. Some of my other roommates trickled out and we sat down for this supposed 8-minute dating survey. **Back story: the night before, my roommate Emily and I went on THE WORST DOUBLE DATE IN THE HISTORY OF DOUBLE DATES!!! After coming home from that date we swore off guys completely** Well the 8-minute survey turned into a 2-hour survey. Brian did most of the talking, while Andrew sat in the background and jumped in from time to time. If you ask him if he thought I was cute then, he will say yes. I'm not sure why. I looked horrible! I was so against boys and dating; I have no idea why that was attractive to him. Well after this 2-hour survey, they left.
Let's go back to November 2002. It was a Saturday night after a football game. This game was probably the COLDEST game I have ever been to. My roommate and I had to wear like 6 layers of clothes. I remember sitting on those metal benches and when we would stand up to cheer, we would moan because then our warm spot was gone. Anyways once we got home from the game, we decided we would watch a movie and chill for the night. While I am in the living room looking at movies, I hear a knock on our door. I open it and 2 guys are standing there. I had no idea who they were. One of them started off with a "hey, I'm Brian and this is Andrew. We are going around conducting an 8-minute dating survey. We were wondering if we could take 8 minutes of your time?" **Back story: Earlier that week some guys from my ward dropped off surveys for a Psychology class assignment. So I just figured it was another Psych assignment.** Naive me said sure and let these strange boys in. Some of my other roommates trickled out and we sat down for this supposed 8-minute dating survey. **Back story: the night before, my roommate Emily and I went on THE WORST DOUBLE DATE IN THE HISTORY OF DOUBLE DATES!!! After coming home from that date we swore off guys completely** Well the 8-minute survey turned into a 2-hour survey. Brian did most of the talking, while Andrew sat in the background and jumped in from time to time. If you ask him if he thought I was cute then, he will say yes. I'm not sure why. I looked horrible! I was so against boys and dating; I have no idea why that was attractive to him. Well after this 2-hour survey, they left.
The next day we had dinner with one of our friends named Maryn. **More back story: Maryn is a friend from Freshman year. She was considered our 7th roommate. She lived in the Colony, which is where Brian and Andrew lived** We told her about these two guys that came over the day before and she laughed and told us that she knew who they were and had basically sent them over. A week or two prior, Brian was over hanging out with her and he was complaining how he wanted to meet new girls. Well she pulled out a photo of the 6 of us and told him where we lived and that he should come meet us. So he told Andrew about it and they decided to make up a bogus story to meet us. Hence the 8-minute dating survey. Their cover was blown.
Well over the course of 2 months we got the pleasure of seeing Brian and Andrew on a normal basis. They cooked us a Cambodian dinner (they both served in Cambodia on missions), we went to basketball games and so forth. But that whole time Andrew never asked me out on a date. I had a choir class with Maryn and would ask her all the time if she thought he liked me and she said that he did, but nothing ever came of it! Next thing I knew I went off to Jersey for Christmas break quite frustrated with this boy. **Back story: Turns out that he thought I was dating someone else when I wasn't, so that's his excuse for taking so long. I just thought he was the slowest mover ever**
Over Christmas break we proceeded to email back and forth. I remember one of the last emails I got before going back to school he said something like "I'll see you this weekend." I was flying in Saturday night. I was so paranoid the whole time that he was going to show up! Well he did. He came over on Sunday night right after I changed into my Spongebob pajama pants. It was a great look for me. 2 days later I got a message on my cell phone from Andrew. He wanted to take me out to Cafe Rio that night. Yay! After going out to eat, we came back to my apartment and talked for like 2 hours before he left. Before I knew it, we were dating. That weekend he was over at my apartment and we were showing him the video that I made with my roomie Tricia and he proceeded to hold my hand for the first time. Pretty brave considering all 5 of my roomies were in the room. The next Tuesday (1 week after first date) he kissed me. And the rest is pretty much history. We dated for 11 months before we got married on December 27, 2003. Here's some photo highlights!
Here we are 2 or 3 months into dating. This was the picture taken for the sole purpose of sending to my mom. She was so curious as to what he looked like.
Here we are in Sedona, Arizona in July 2005. This was the weekend that I met his whole family for the first time. Andrew was in LA for his Ernst & Young internship. He drove home for the 4th of July and I flew down to spend the weekend with him and his family.
This was taken right after Andrew proposed on September 19, 2005. We had a picnic in the mountains and he gave me a "late" birthday present.
One month before we got married. This was taken at the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas Concert in Salt Lake.Informal Engagement Photos taken by my roomie Emily on campus
Saturday, December 27, 2003: The Big Day!
4 comments:
Great story! I love the old pictures too.
That a fun story, especially the dating interview. Sounds like something you would only see at good old BYU.
The dating survey is totally a BYU thing. And where else in the world would you actually let two random guys into your apartment! Good thing it turned out to be a good decision. I like back story details, it makes the story fuller.
I believe we were married in 2003, not 2005.
Post a Comment