Thursday, August 9, 2007

Rhode to disaster

I love rolls. I especially love Rhodes dough rolls. Why? Because they are genuinely foolproof and taste great. You throw the dough balls in a muffin tin, let rise for a few hours, bake and gobble up. Easy enough right? WRONG in my case.

Sunday, I decided I wanted rolls. But I wasn't patient enough to let them rise the slow way. So I thought I'd try the fast rise method, which involved putting them in a warm oven with a pot of boiling water at the bottom. Well knowing me, I forgot about them. Andrew opened the oven a few hours later to find these shriveled up dough balls. Disaster number 1.

I wasn't going to let that stop me! So Tuesday I was determined to make rolls. This time I got them out early enough to do the slow rise. Carson was napping at the time, so I set the rolls by the sliding door on the floor because it was warmer there. BAD IDEA! Being my forgetful self, I forget they are there. A few hours later after Carson was awake and Andrew was home, we noticed Carson was quiet. Generally means something is up. Andrew found him by the rising rolls. He has stuck his fingers in every single roll and had taken out one of the dough balls and was eating it! Little sidenote: when we went to Mount Vernon, we had dinner at Lauren's and Carson stole Mallory's roll and ate it. I think he thought that's what it was. Andrew took it away and moved the sad looking rolls to a higher place. I was so sad that my 2nd time trying to make these stupid rolls didn't work! But I figured for kicks I'd bake them anyway. Carson's my kid and I was making them just for myself. What do I care if he stuck his finger in all the rolls. Here's how they turned out after they were baked. Not too shabby huh? Note the one missing roll that Carson decided to eat before they were baked.


It reminds me of the story I heard from someone...can't remember who. A lady made an Oreo cake and brought it to a function. While everyone was eating the cake, she went on to tell everyone that she found her son licking all the icing out of the cookies....the cookies she then turned around and used to make the cake with. I am taking this as a life lesson learned. Kids are going to shove their fingers in all sorts of fun foods. I'm just going to have to get used to it. I think I'll stick to serving this kind of food to just myself and not company.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That oreo story happened to my parents. They were some of the people eating the cake when the lady told them.